We invite you to participate in the 2nd All-Ukrainian with International Participation Student Contest
"Social Data Analysis 2018" / "Social Data Analysis 2018"
Students of all years of studying a bachelor's or master's degree program in any European HEI (University) are invited to participate in the competition.
Working languages of the contest: Ukrainian, English, Russian.
The winners of the competition will be awarded prizes
- For the first place 5 000 UAH.
- For the second place 3 000 UAH.
- For the third place 2 000 UAH.
- For originality 1 000 UAH
The winners will also be invited to publish their paper (in the format of a scientific article) in one of the special editions of the Faculty of Sociology: "The Journal of the KNU: Series Sociology" or "Actual Problems of Sociology, Psychology and Pedagogy".
The competition will take place in two stages
1. In the first stage of the submitted works will be selected 10 best (TOP-10)
2. At the second stage, the authors of the selected works appear to the jury of the contest with the presentation and answer questions. As a result of presentations, winners are selected.
To win the competition is necessary
- sign up
- send your paper
- enter the TOP-10 by the results of the first (absentee) phase
- to come to Kyiv with a presentation of their work, to appear and win
Registration of participants is held until March 18 inclusive. Registration ends on March 18, 2013 at 23:59 (Kyiv time). To register, please fill out GoogleForms at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4zHz5S3l4apP2ewuHgjVAaTNW6Ku9pk2dRRx8ZaNHMreP5w/viewform (First obligatory field “Електронна адреса” means “Your Email”)
When registering, you must specify the topic of work, information about yourself and your supervisor.
Work must be sent by April 2 incl. to firstname.lastname@example.org. You need to send the work text (one MS Word file), which includes a description of the analysis (actually the paper itself) and all the accompanying materials necessary for understanding and reproducing (if necessary) the analysis process outlined in the text.
ATTENTION!!! Works sent after March 04 2018 00:01 (Kyiv time) will not be considered.
The first stage. By the end of the day on April 15, 2018, the jury examines the submitted papers, identifies the 10 best and sends an e-mail invitation to the authors of these works to take part in the second stage. The list of selected papers will also be posted on the site.
The second stage will start on Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 10-00 at the Faculty of Sociology of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Kyiv, Glushkov Ave 4d). The ten winners of the first stage publicly, in the presence of guests, present their research to the jury and respond to the questions posed. Everyone will be able to watch presentations.
Participants send files with their PowerPoint presentation to email@example.com by the end of the day 19.04.2018.
The rules of the presentation of the participant is 15 minutes. for a run and 5 minutes for answers.
Presentations start at 10.00 and end at 14.30 (coffee break 12.30-13.00)
Work of the jury and lecture by TNS KANTAR TNS - 14.30-15.30
Announcement of the results and awarding awards at 15.40
The competition jury consists of experts from the faculty of sociology, the company KANTAR TNS, other research institutes. The scientific directors of the finalists can not be members of the jury.
The chairman of the jury is Dean of the Faculty of Sociology of the Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University Andrii Gorbachyk.
The structure of the evaluation of work at the first (absentee) stage:
• the quality of the analysis carried out in the paper: the formulation of the problem, the formulation of research questions, the hypothesis of the study, the justification of the selection of variables, the choice of methods of analysis, the substantiation of the conclusions - up to 60 points
• the structure of work, the logic of presentation - up to 30 points
• quality of work design: literacy, formatting, drawing of illustrations, etc. - up to 10 points
Structure of work evaluation at the second (presentation) stage:
• the quality of the analysis carried out in the work, the results presentation - up to 60 points
• the quality of the presentation: the overall impression of the presentation, the answer to a question, etc. - up to 40 points
The jury decides collectively after a collective discussion.
The jury only announces the final rating and does not announce the evaluation of individual participants.
Requirements for competitive work
The work should be devoted to the analysis of data from the European Social Survey (ESS). Data is available free of charge upon registration at http://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/data/ ).
Possible directions for the formulation of analysis tasks:
- Social trust in Ukraine and / or in European countries
- Attitude to democratic values in Ukraine and / or in European countries
- Changes in Ukrainian society over 10 years (from 2004 to 2014)
- The structure of the values of Ukrainian society - the dynamics of change and its causes
- Political and civic activity in Ukraine and / or in European countries
- Social well-being in Ukraine and / or in European countries
- Interest in the media in Ukraine and / or in European countries
- Age and gender stereotypes in Ukraine and / or in European countries
- Attitudes towards Migration and Migrants in Ukraine and / or in European Countries
- Attitude to the threats of terrorism and ways to deal with them
The topic of the work is not necessarily to be formulated within one of the above-mentioned directions, but the analysis is necessarily performed on the ESS data
The job should be
- formulated the topic and research problem, outlined the relevance of the topic, formulated research questions and relevant interesting content of the hypothesis, the possibility of testing hypotheses based on ESS data
- The choice of the method of analysis, the conformity of the chosen method to hypothesis testing problems is grounded
- Data analysis is provided at a level sufficient to understand all intermediate stages and the validity of the conclusions; you do not need to copy the screens in the text and describe what buttons and in what sequence you need to click on the menu of the statistical analysis package
- formulated conclusions that correspond to the task and indeed have a direct relation to the hypotheses that are being tested.
All conclusions in the work should be based on the analysis of empirical data
Large tables, charts and scripts (if they are necessary for understanding and possible reproduction of the analysis process) should be included in the annexes. Scripts are submitted in SPSS or R format.
The list of sources used should be APA standard.
The maximum amount of text without the title page, the list of sources used and applications should not exceed 40,000 characters (including spaces), which is approximately 20 pages of A4 in one and a half intervals in Times New Roman font size 14. The material beyond the specified limits should not be taken into consideration.
We look forward to your work!
Organizing committee of the competition.